As the holidays draw closer and closer, stores are getting more and more crowded, and of course, many have put off their Christmas shopping until the very last minute. Why not avoid the mall rush this holiday season and make a personalized do-it-yourself snow globe to gift to those closest to you? This is also a perfect opportunity to put of those cell phone photos that you've been snapping to use!
- Photo or transparency—you'll want to print it in a size that is half an inch smaller than your bottle or jar's width/diameter and height.
- A glass jar or bottle (I used spaghetti sauce and baby food jars for mine).
- Glitter and/or sequins.
- Light/clear corn syrup.
- Packaging tape.
For mine, I used a photo printed onto a transparency and trimmed the borders off the edges.
If you used a regular printer to print your photo, you'll want to waterproof your photo by laying it onto pieces of packaging tape on both sides. Make sure the entire surface is covered and that there are no air bubbles, so that the water will not be able to enter. Leave at least ¼ of an inch of tape around the borders. (Don't worry about this step if you are using a transparency.)
If your photo is extra wide like the one shown above, you'll want to roll it up into a tube and tape it together.
Roll up the photo and slip it into your bottle or jar. Do this quickly to ensure that your photo does not stay rolled up. If you are using a jar, be sure that to insert the photo upside down.
Make final adjustments before you pour in the water and corn syrup. The photo should fit nice and snug inside the bottle or jar.
Fill over half the jar or bottle with water and the rest with corn syrup. Add glitter and/or sequins as desired.
Tighten the lid on the jar as much as you possibly can. We don't want your snow globe leaking water and glitter all over the place!
Flip your jar upside down to activate your new snow globe! If you used a bottle, just shake it up a bit and watch the glittery goodness fall over your photo. Enjoy!
If you made one of these, make sure to share a picture of it below in the comments to give everyone else some more inspiration!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades